Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More Reflections

This is a repeat of my elink pondering, for those of you who receive that as well.

I left General Assembly, as I did the other time I went, amazed that there will be some in our denomination who will say that some group “fixed” the decision-making process to achieve their purposes. It strikes me as ludicrous that anyone or any group could manipulate such a mass of differing opinions. And, as I talked with people (many of whom held different perspectives than mine), I was struck by their genuine desire to discern God's will. I do think a couple of things happen that may skew decisions (at least from our perspective at home): 1. Separated from the comfort of our own opinions and people who confirm our opinions because they are like-minded, commissioners sometimes see things differently. To hear someone passionately share their differing opinion and discover that they have strong, faithful reasons, invites a commissioner to respond differently than originally planned. 2. People who show up prepared, whether they be staff resource people or people interested enough in an issue to do their home, have an advantage over those who are thinking through the issue for the first time. I cannot fault people for their preparation, but I also recognize that the most prepared position does not necessarily have to be the best position. 3. We pray for God's guidance a lot at General Assembly. I suppose I am bold enough to believe that God does hear those prayers and offer guidance. Even as I rationalize and explain way the decisions made (this year or in previous years) on the basis of this theory or that one, I also wonder if maybe the General Assembly got it right and we back at home can't accept it.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment