Saturday, July 3, 2010

Arrival

After leaving the house at 5:30 yesterday morning, I arrived in Minneapolis and registered as a commissioner for General Assembly. I now have an official badge and lengthy schedule of events and meetings.

I had a chance to jog through downtown Minneapolis late in the afternoon. I like being able to choose a side of the street that was in the shade; the many people on the sidewalks and stop lights, not so much.

Last night had a concert featuring an 8 man a capella choir and a Minnesota bluegrass band. Wow! I hope all the worship services have that kind of quality.

As I wander around seeing nametags, it feels like a family reunion with all the cousins who you have heard about but never met in person. the higly visible name tags (I can now attest to how helpful name tags are!) mean you can tell whom you are passing. many of these people have written articles I have read, or answered questions on the phone for me through the years, or are people I have read about in years past.

I have also been reminded of our connectedness. One of the moderatorial candidates is the minister serving a church in NC where the Beers (they joined with us this summer) attended several years ago. I had a chance to visit with her and share their greetings (Andy and Jill -- Maggie gave me a pen and a pin with her name on it for ya'll). I suspect lots of little "reunions" will be taking place this week.

Now I am off to my first actual meeting of the week.

Peace,

Richard

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful community we have in the Presbyterian Church. I must say it makes the world seem so much smaller! I am so glad that you got a chance to talk with Maggie, and thank you so much for giving her our greetings.

    Jill and I send our best to you and everyone at the General Assembly, and as always you and the attendees are in our daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete