Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Exhibit Hall

Everyday we can walk through an Exhibit Hall to visit many different groups and vendors (in honor of my wife and daughters being able to shop anywhere, I bought Leslie's birthday present and a gift for each daughter in the Exhibit Hall). The exhibitors have lots of good information (from different church software vendors to church insurance companies) and swag (lots of different water bottles, pens, and pins) to share. As I have wandered the Hall, I have been struck by three things: First of all, the Presbyterian Church engages in many different mission projects. It would make any Presbyterian proud to see all that we are doing in local and global locations. Secondly, I find it fascinating to see some of the unofficial groups with very different agendas in booths side-by-side. The church media often reports very heated and angry exchanges between the groups, but things seemed rather calm in the Exhibit Hall. It made me wonder if I sat and watched if the members of the different groups would greet, ignore or attack one another. Thirdly, their presence together also reminded me that the Presbyterian Church has a wide variety of perspectives in its membership. Although at times the multiple views create problems, but I think they also help us imagine a God who is far greater than any of our issues.

Peace

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment