Friday, September 30, 2011

"Desperate People" Mark 5: 21-34; Psalm 130

When I picked this title, I was thinking of Nevada Barr's comment about being desperate when she went to church.  Of course, I ended up using the quote in last week's sermon, so it's not doing me much good this week!  I sometimes have that problem when I do the newsletter and pick the texts for several sermons in a row -- I forget to segregate the different sermons when I start writing them.

When I read the Mark text, I wonder if the woman (and Jairus for that matter) had gone to other people hoping they could solve her problem.  I imagine if I had her condition I would be desperately going anywhere to see anyone who I thought could solve my problem.  I'm not sure if it matters or not (what do you think).  But, it certainly matters that Jesus is the one who healed her.

The Psalms are often a cry from seemingly desperate people to the God they hope will be faithful to them.  As I reflected on whether the woman had tried other people, I was reminded that of the Israelites in the wilderness, who turned away from God while Moses was up on Mt. Sinai because they were afraid and were willing to turn to anything in their fear.  I wonder if the Israelites had some sidebar psalms to offer up to other gods?

I landed on the idea of desperate people for World Communion Sunday, because I have this image of people all over the world who desperately need hope and change arriving at the Lord's Table, believing that this is the only place they can turn where they can discover real hope and change.  What are you looking for when you come to the Lord's Table?

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment