Friday, September 9, 2011

"A Changing Call" Acts 16: 6-15

As I heard stories this summer on Clergy Renewal, I was struck by how many people were living out their call to discipleship in different ways than they were when I knew them.  I mentioned in an earlier sermon my Jr. High leaders who heard a call to a new church development project.

I also had a chance to talk with a woman who has gone through 5 distinct phases of her sense of call over the last 20 years -- each of which was very meaningful to her and certainly sounded like a call to me.

A third person shared their new sense of call with lots of excitement.  I was struck when he said something like, "I finally felt Jesus in my heart." and realized that when I knew him he was a model of discipleship to me, but now he looks back and sees that as a time when he was not connected as closely to Christ.

This is also the 10th anniversary of 9/11 which reminds me that sometimes circumstances beyond our control cause radical changes to take place in our lives.

On a lighter note, when I was driving back from Chicago after having been gone for three weeks, I tuned in to the station I listen to on FM (99.9).  I also have 94.5 preset because my daughters like it (I really don't like it).  As I listened to 99.9, I discovered that I didn't like its music that night.  As I searched for stations, I landed on a song  I like, and then noticed it was on 94.5.  I began switching back and forth between those two stations as I discovered the music I liked on 94.5 and the music I didn't like on 99.9.  I was rather confused.  As it turns out, the stations had exchanged their frequencies over the time I was gone.  Change!

Can you identify changes in your sense of call and what prompted that change?  Paul credits his change of direction to the Holy Spirit.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment