Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reflections on "Not Yet Christmas"

When John the Baptist yelled out "Repent, the kingdom of heaven is near," several people visibly jumped in the their seats. I confess that one of the joys of preaching first person sermons is the way the sermons engage people (maybe not everyone, but certainly some) that a standard sermon does not seem to do. I also recognize that is much harder to nuance a first person sermon -- it seems to me that the first person sermon is a snapshot of a brief moment or feeling from the text; a standard sermon allows for more of a collage of images that can interpret one another.attention.

I almost backed out of the bringing John to life because I did not want the sermon time to become "let's see what Richard is doing" time. I hope people heard John in a new way and then reflected in a different way on the call to prepare to meet the Christ. If the first person sermon engages or pushes people to see things in a fresh way, then I can say it worked.

“Not Yet Christmas” Dec. 5, 2010; FPC, 2nd Advent;

this text is probably less accurate than most weeks because the first-person sermon was done without any notes.

Move 1: “Repent, for the kingdom of God has come near!”

You know what that means, don't you? It means it is not Christmas yet.
Instead of "Merry Chrismas," you hear "Repent" – turn the other way. Go back in the other direction. God is calling you.

Move 2: I see you staring at me in my camel's hair; I see you watching as I stand in the water baptizing; I see you shocked at the sight of my eating honey and locust.

I'm not quite what most people ask for for Christmas.

Some people think I am Elijah the great prophet. I'm not, but I do not mind the comparison. Elijah as a great prophet who told people what God wanted them to hear, what God needed them to do. That's what I am doing. I am telling people what God wants them to do to prepare to meet the one coming in the name of the Lord.

You see I am the one Isaiah promised would come to prepare the way for the Messiah.

Move 3: “come on down to the river Jordan”
Not come on down to the shopping mall for more Christmas shopping.
Not come on over the office party
Or the last day of school party
Or the neighborhood party.
We're not at Christmas yet because we are down here at the river Jordan
The River Jordan where people are coming from all around to be baptized.
People wanting something more for their lives.
People wanting to confess their sins and be baptized.

Move 4: “you brood of vipers”
Not exactly a nice and warm holiday greeting, so you know it's not yet Christmas.
Maybe you all aren't vipers, but I've seen the Pharisees and Sadducees coming down here to be baptized.
Some get baptized; some just watch.
Not many are changed, I suspect.
The river water cannot wash away their contempt for someone like me.
Someone who is dressed funny.
Someone who is not part of the religious establishment.
Someone who does not buy what they are selling
Someone who proclaims that the Messiah is coming without getting their authorization or permission to speak.

Move 5: “The ax is ready!”
I bet Santa Claus does not bring an ax down the chimney.
Most of you are not asking for an ax for Christmas.
You probably would not look kindly toward someone who gives you an ax.
But, it is not yet Christmas and the ax is ready to cut out the bad roots.

Move 6: “I baptize with water, but the one who is coming will baptize with the Holy Spirit”
it's not Christmas yet.
You are still stuck with me and my water baptism.
You still have me preparing you for the Messiah you so desperately seek.
It's not yet Christmas, but when Christ arrives you will meet the one who offers you new life.
New hope.

Move 7: “After me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry.”
I am the gruff one. The one you want to get past as quickly as you can to get to Christ.
I can't blame you.
I know him.
I leapt in the womb when his mother and my mother met during their pregnancy.
I am not the one who will be your Savior.
But, you will like him.
I hope you will recognize his greatness.
Not a greatness you notice because he stands apart or above us;
But a greatness that grows out of his love for others; his passion to heal; his desire for you to know God's love.
A greatness that may seem ordinary in a moment, but is proven in the faithfulness that arrives each day.
I am not worthy to carry his sandal, but he would never ask me to carry it.
All he will ask of me is for me to receive his love and follow him.
All he will ask of you is receive his love and follow him.

Conclusion: it's not Christmas yet, but the one who is coming after me is worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment