Friday, December 10, 2010

"Grading Advent" Matthew 11: 2-11

I find two fascinating aspects of the text for this Sunday's sermon. First of all, how does John not know who Jesus is? Jesus is his cousin. I think I would know my cousins and know what they were doing. So if John does know who Jesus us, why send the question asking? Some scholars suggest that John is playing a game to convince his own followers who Jesus is. I'm not sure what to think -- how about you?

Secondly, don't you love Jesus' response. Go tell John what I am doing and then he can decide. I think we get that message from Jesus quite often -- here's what I am doing, now decide if you want to follow me!

The title "Grading Advent" was inspired by the thought that if we reflect on our Advent so far, how are we doing? And, of course, the rubric (thank you OH school testing for making that term common to our language!) I would suggest we use to analyze our answer is found in Jesus describing what he is doing. How is Advent going if we compare what we are doing with what Jesus was doing? What grade would you give your Advent?

I'm not sure how these thoughts are going to come together in one sermon, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment