Monday, December 13, 2010

Reflections on "Grading Advent"

The sermon did not fit the title, but that happens periodically when the sermon shifts from the cursory glance at the text at newsletter deadline time to the reality of interpreting the text for the sermon. From the fall series on being a Christian in the 21st century through the first three weeks of Advent, I have enjoyed this stretch of preaching as much as any I can remember. Not sure I can pinpoint why, but the sermon yesterday seemed to work well (at least by the lack of noise emanating from the pews during the sermon!).

“Not Yet Christmas” Dec. 5, 2010; FPC, 2nd Advent

Introduction: Have you ever seen Firehouse Dog? My cousin Steven Culp is one of the leads.
He also starred as Robert Kennedy in Thirteen Days.

If you are not into movies, maybe you saw him when he played Rex in the first season of Desperate Housewives; or as the CIA agent in the TV series JAG, or one of the other numerous TV roles he has played.

He has the same middle name as my daughter Rachel.

You can read about him on wikipedia.

We exchange Christmas cards with him. I typed in his address label yesterday.

I am more than happy to talk about my cousin. Just enter the category of cousins or movies or TV shows, and I'll steer the conversation to my cousin the TV/movie star.
Makes it curious as to why John sends word to Jesus asking if he is the one or if they are to expect another.

If I had been John, I would have been bragging about my cousin.

More like – did you know my cousin's the Messiah? You've heard of God right. Well God's son is
my cousin.

Instead we get – are you the one who is coming, or are we to expect another?

His cousin whom he knew since he was literally in the womb.

Maybe they did not get together very often growing up, but surely they ran into each at a family reunion.

Or John's mother told him about Jesus.

His cousin he baptized in the River Jordan and then watched and as the heavens opened and listened as the voice of God announced that Jesus was God's son, the Beloved.

I would think John would know who Jesus was without asking.

Move 2: Why did John send a question – are you the one or are we to wait for another?
a. Maybe Jesus had not yet met his expectations.
1.Perhaps John has an idea of what Jesus, his cousin the Messiah was going to do.
2.And so far, maybe Jesus was not living up to those expectations.
3.Maybe you have unmet expectations of what God is doing in the world and what it means that Christ has come.
4.Advent forces us to examine who we imagine or want Christ to be and who Christ turns out to be in the flesh.

b. Maybe John was trying to convince his followers?
1. some scholars like this approach.
2. John's followers were not warming up to Jesus, so John sends this question to get them lined up with Christ.
3. Do you need convincing this Advent?

c. Maybe John had become disillusioned.
1. he is in prison when he sends this question to Jesus.
2. Maybe he had hoped for a better situation for himself once Jesus his the scene.
3. perhaps he had in mind a Batman and Robin routine – instead, he's in jail and Jesus is free.
4. It is easy to get disillusioned. Where we are in life is not quite where we want to be.
5. Having faith does not seem to have helped us get what we want out of life.
6.We begin to wonder if this Jesus guy is the real deal.

I suspect we have more in common with John's and his question that we want to admit.

Move 3: You got to love Jesus' response
a. He could have said yes.
1.Affirmed who we was for john. Yes, I am the Messiah.
2.Or maybe he could have done some big miracle and announced in the aftermath that he was the Messiah.
3.Instead, he tells John's disciples – go and tell him what you see and let John decide.

b. Tell him what you see.
1. The blind receive sight.
2. the lame walk.
3. The lepers are cleansed,
4. The deaf hear.
5. The dead are raised.
6. The poor have good news brought to them.

c. Tell him and let him decide who I am...and if he wants to follow me.
1. Now we are at the crux of the Advent journey.
2. Look and listen to what Jesus is doing and decide – do you want to follow.
3. On Christmas when we celebrate the birth of Christ it is easy to get swept up the mystery and majesty of that story.
4. But John is asking the question that follows the birth of Christ – is he the one we are to follow?
5. That is our question as well – when the Christ-child grows up to act and talk like Jesus, do we want to follow.

Conclusion: I can tell you about my famous cousin, just ask. But, really, I am telling you about myself. About how I want to be connected with someone who is in the movies and on TV. It makes me seem better if I am related to a star.

WE can tell the story about the birth of Christ. But the question hangs in the air – do we want to be connected with the one he becomes, the one who gives sight to the blind, helps the lame walk, cleanses the lepers, gives hear to the deaf, raises the dead and brings good news to the poor.

Is he the one for you, or are you going to wait for another?

No comments:

Post a Comment