Monday, February 22, 2010

Temptations

Have you had time to reflect on going to the wilderness? In some ways, I find that a contrived notion. the Israelites were fleeing the Egyptian army and the devil "drove" Jesus into the wilderness. Suggesting that we create a wilderness experience seems odd. of course, that may also reveal the desire to never have to deal with the wilderness.

Have you reflected on the temptations in your life? As I worked on yesterday's sermon, I was struck by the desire to be transformed when I got to through the wilderness. In some ways, I've been thinking about that as my entry into the reflections on temptation, which has surely impacted the temptations I have discovered.

I also find it difficult to share publicly my temptations. Maybe because it is difficult to admit things about ourselves. Anyway, here is a thought or two about my temptations.

I battle with the temptation of going through the motions, but not really opening myself up to being engaged. It is easier for me to lead prayer, than force myself to really focus on prayer. It is easier to preach a sermon, than to hear how the Scripture lesson makes a claim on my life. It is easier to give pastoral care, than it is to be really engaged by the person I am with at the point of pastoral care.

One of the reasons I chose to add daily prayer for members during Lent is the desire to be more focused and engaged on the lives of people in the congregation. I wanted to become a more prayerful, engaged person by the time I reached the other side of the wilderness. I announced it as part of my sermon two weeks ago because I wanted to force myself into accountability. not yet a week into the process, I have found it amazing how praying for someone by name with their face in my mind creates a bond with them.

I have also discovered that engagement is still a challenge. As part of the exercise, I am writing to people on the day I pray for them. Yesterday at church, several people spoke to me about my praying for them. I found myself feeling awkward in those conversations. As I reflected on that, I realized that being engaged in prayer about a person still does not totally engage me with that person.

So, I have added to my task of praying for people, the challenge of engaging them in person, if they so choose. not sure what that looks like. For some, it might be just a smile and a "you're welcome." For others, it might be the beginning of a longer conversation about their prayer concerns and what they need in prayer (I might add, that is does seem a bit presumptuous to pray for people, as if I somehow know what they need God to be doing in their life).

I also have been reflecting on how my desire to pray for and engage the congregation ought to be matched by a commitment to my wife and kids. I far too often give in to the temptation of taking their love for granted and not nurturing it.

What temptations are on you mind as you begin Lent?

I am also holding on to the idea that the "angels will wait" on me as I struggle with my temptations. Have you been "waited" on by angels recently?

peace,

Richard

3 comments:

  1. These comments came from Jo Hermes via my email. Richard

    After yours and Elizabeth's comments, I tried to write in the box the following:

    I agree that my youth did not include ashes like my Catholic friends received, and I really wasn't jealous of their having to curtail their meat or treats--especially on Fridays! I was aware early that the church music sound changed from major to minor chords, and I liked that for meditation. The author we're reading has a neat perspective on Lent as and in-between time rather than the somber period of grey Ohio days I've considered it to be. My mother used to joke that she and her contemporaries at the retirement home were "preparing for their finals." Maybe this Lent will be my new "Study Table" as an older woman?


    As for the prayers you are giving for us, I am very grateful for them. A smile or "Good" or small comment for "You're welcome" is always appropriate and sufficient for your response. You don't need to feel the connection either , Richard, for us as recipients of your pastoral care to sense the gifts the Holy Spirit gives us through you. Believe me, Russ and I should know! You have given us those gifts when you were extremely tired and busy, so you couldn't be expected to feel the effect or connection.

    I share your reluctance to name temptations. I guess that's why we like the Prayers of Confession that we read all together. Sometimes they hit the nail on the head more than others in the wording; but they are always important. I'm delighted you are including your family strongly in your Lenten emphasis. My mother's "Charity begins at home" remark was a frequent directive that I now value more than when she was repeating it. Your girls are growing up beautifully with the speed of light.

    Temptations of my overeating sweets and snacks are always present but are probably less important than worrying about lack of control over my own or others' lives and the useless judgmental attitudes I might want to express. Today's Upper Room reading reminded me again of" the speck in a brother's eye vs. the log in my own" which is always a helpful thing to keep in mind. Thanks for sending the blog. Onward! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the early service on Sunday, I drove two hours to eat lunch with my mother on what would have been her 62nd wedding anniversary. I decided to leave the radio & CD player off, and use the time to try to "enter" the wilderness (there was very little traffic).
    My first temptations were easy to identify; sweets and wine. I decided they are temptations because I use them to make myself feel better and I get very compulsive about having them even though they really mess up my blood sugars. I also think that sometimes I eat them to prove that I am an adult and nobody should be able to tell me no!
    As for the angels, when I took a moment to reflect, I realized that I haven't had any sweets or wine since last Wednesday and I haven't really missed them. (and I am very grateful for that!)
    In your sermon you talked about the temptation of wanting to be God or be in charge. I am so guilty of this! When I think about my prayers, I realize that I am telling God what I want him to do..."keep Will safe," "let us have one more snow day"...etc. I do say please but I never stop long enough to listen for what God wants me to do and so I never know. So my second lenten task is to take 15 minutes each night by myself and try to hear God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today i walked in the snow with my friend. We discussed the conversation cards.
    Angels are something that i believe.
    My temptations would be shopping, shopping and more shopping. So i am not going to shop online for 40 days.
    My friend gave up smoking for 40 days. SMILE.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete