Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Marked!

From the early morning until just a few minutes ago, I marked people with the sign of ashes and the words, "from dust you have come, and to dust you shall return. Repent, and believe the gospel." In the end, I was not physically marked with ashes on the forehead, but I was marked in other ways.

First of all, my thumb now looks like I am being fingerprinted the old-fashioned way before they had scanners. My thumb is black! As I stared at it off and on throughout the day, I realized that it was my identifying mark today as one who is in ordained ministry; as one who could, in fact was expected, to mark people with the sign of the cross as they pondered their humanity and their God, who gives us life and receives us at our death. I was humbled at the reminder.

Secondly, I was marked by the experience of watching people reflect in the sanctuary and then come forward for the sign of the cross. I prayed over everyone who gathered. As they sat, I prayed for them, trying to remember what prayers they might need today and turning the rest over to God. My prayers ran into reflections on who they were and what might connect them to God. As I told the story of God breathing the breath of life into humanity for the kids who came with their parents, I was struck at how that seemed to captivate their imagination as they eagerly listened with eyes wide open in astonishment. I marveled at the faithfulness I saw in person after person. I was quieted by the pain some felt as they perhaps reflected on their sinfulness or remembered the frailty of human life as experienced in the death of a loved one. I found myself remembering what it meant to be in awe of God and the faithfulness and vulnerability of those who dare to believe seek to follow God.

Ash Wednesday has been a powerful day for me.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment