Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ashes, ashes, they all fall down!

Still not at the point to start posting about the text we'll be reading during Lent (you can get a copy in the lower gathering area at church), but preparations for Lent continue. This afternoon, I listened to music to find something appropriate to play in the background during the reflection times tomorrow in the sanctuary. It led me to ponder the power of music vs. the power of silence. And, I also was fascinated by my immediate response as to whether a song was "appropriate" for a time of reflection, including my surprise at discovering string music did not work for me.

I also burned the palm branches from previous years to make ashes for tomorrow.

If you are a sensory person, you might appreciate that I now smell like burning palm branches. My smell memory (if there is such a thing!) kicked in and brought to mind previous years when I have burned branches to create ashes. It reminds me of the importance of rituals in our lives. Do you have any rituals associated with Lent that have special meaning for you?

I also noticed that the palm branches from last year did not burn as well as palm branches that had been stored from 2 or three years ago. I could actually see a pattern connecting the palms in different groups based on how old they were. I was struck by the thought that it is much easier to burn the older, more dried out branches. Not sure if that suggests we ought to stay fresh or if it reminds that the passing of time helps us "burn away" those hurts and pains that we carry with us. Or maybe it symbolizes that the longer we had held on to the baggage from year's past, the most combustible it becomes.

Or, I suppose, it could just be a sign that the smell of the burned palm branches has overwhelmed my thoughts!


2 comments:

  1. My nervousness about this new experience almost talked me into not going to the Ash Wed. service. I went and it was very relaxing.
    Just to be able to sit in quiet for a half hour away from "life". I enjoyed reading the book and coming in from the cold to a warm building.
    I thought the part about the angels watching over us during the season was comforting.
    I came home and Jessica was intersted. She remarked "should i go to a service?" She also mentioned that her friend was attending an ash wed service tonight at her church.
    It was a good day.
    Learned that being nervous can be a good thing.
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The following was emailed to me by Jo Hermes:

    Interesting sensory choices for background! I like many kinds of soft, not jarring, music. I like orchestral, Irish flute and drums, many classical works including string. I don't find songs with words helpful for quiet meditation because the words interfere with thoughts, however. That's always been true for study background. "The Grand Canyon Suite" record was surprisingly intact after all the times it was played for my Senior English homework time. Covering up sounds of construction, nature, boisterous indoor or outdoor conversations, and traffic are great reasons for music. Elevation of my spirit, awe and joy have resulted from many musical selections in church throughout my life. Some of them have certainly carried my thoughts along with their words, of course, to a higher or deeper place. The more familiar they may be, the more enjoyable . When I was young and played piano or organ, there were many, many meaningful practice sessions that were, in fact, worship.

    The burning topic (no pun) you raised takes us back to the early church incense or sacrificial meat torched for religious purposes. My husband is reading a book about GOD that discusses the importance of rituals in all religions. I guess I've accepted rituals from childhood when my dad was a church soloist and both parents sang in choirs. I have not always found ALL the rituals helpful to my worship; and I have objected to new ones as mental hiccups (one of which recently came from the mass.) I have seen, however, that for others, change/variation is necessary to keep people's attention or to give purpose-- so I just pick and choose, I guess. Prayer and The Upper Room have been mainstays of my recent years. There used to be a daily booklet called Today that I started using at Wooster College conferences for Morning Watch. I'll look forward to checking out the wilderness, etc. this week in the new "Clearing Season." Thank you.

    Nowadays, Richard, any music you choose would for someone in some culture be appropriate for their heartfelt " Glory be to GOD! " Onward! Jo

    ReplyDelete