Thursday, June 23, 2016

General Assembly, making history?

So far, nothing too controversial has come to the floor for vote, but I believe we are part of some historic change for the Presbyterian Church, USA.  Yesterday, we approved adding "The Belhar Confession" to our Book of Confessions.  "Belhar" comes out of the the South African experience as they fought against racism and apartheid.  It offers a clear call to end racism and speaks to God's justice.  Six years ago when I was a commissioner to General Assembly in Minneapolis, "Belhar" was sent to the church for more study, instead of being adopted as its supporters have hoped.  I would have voted for its inclusion in the Book of Confessions then, and I did vote for it last night.  Now our confirmands will have a new confession to learn!

We also approved revisions to the Book of Common Worship.  As I have often told our church leadership, I continually find that the worship we do, particularly at memorial services and weddings, provides a powerful witness to how God can be at work in liturgy.  I trust that the revisions will help us continue in that tradition.

There was an important change in our language about the Lord's Table.  For generations, we have invited those who have been baptized and trust in in Jesus Christ to the Table.  The revisions remove the requirement that people be baptized to come to the Table.  In truth, I cannot remember the last time I was at a communion service (except ours) when the minister included the words, "those who have been baptized."  I have continued to use those words because they are part of the current Book of Common Worship, but I will stop doing that as of July 3rd's communion. The mandate now is to encourage the unbaptized who come to the Lord's Table to be baptized.  Although even before this change I would I not have refused to serve someone I knew was not baptized, now that willingness to welcome even the unbaptized to the Lord's Table is the norm for us.  Of course, the caveat to this change is that we only approved the revisions being sent to the presbyteries for their approval (it takes a majority of presbyteries to approve the revisions).

In some ways, coming to General Assembly seems like being at a giant Session meeting, plus a committee night that last two days!  Yet, as I look back on the two times I have been a commissioner, I will babe been at the assemblies that voted to remove one's sexual preference as a criteria for ordination (six years ago), added "The Belhar Confession" to our Book of Confession, and approved the revisions to the Book of Common Worship for the approval of our presbyteries.  That's a lot of change for which I have had a front row seat!

No comments:

Post a Comment