Monday, June 20, 2016

General Assembly, committee meetings

We begin each day, today in committee meetings, with a Bible study.  The Bible study is around the theme "Messy Tables, Messy Mission."  This morning we used the text in Samuel when David finds out that Jonathan's son is still alive, and he sends for him to invite him to the king's table because of David's previous promise to Jonathan that he would take care of his family (I have preached several on the Hebrew word hesed, which describes the love Jonathan and David felt for each other's that led to this pledge).  We discussed what a great honor it was to be invited to the king's table, but how that also could be a huge responsibility, or carry with it implications beyond the thrill of being invited to the king's table.

The conversation has me also thinking about those who never get invited to the table.  Those who are already at the table often overlook, forgot, or do not want to share the table with others.  As we think of how Jesus continually expanded the circle of those whom he sought to engage (or remember that even knowing Judas would betray him, he still invited Judas to the Last Supper), we are reminded how Jesus calls us to seek to extend ourselves to others and empower others.

I was also thinking about those people who choose to stay away from the table, even when they are invited.  It is easier, of course, to criticize the decision made by those at the table if we are not one of the people at the table.  Perhaps the challenge is not just expanding who is invited to the table, but also accepting the responsibility of sitting at the table.

As I sat through the Bible study, I was reminded how much I enjoy the opportunity to reflect on biblical texts.  In fact, I had some thoughts about a sermon that I will preach later in the summer.  It reminds me that pushing to find time for reflection in my weekly schedule and having others with whom to reflect is an important part of being able to gain important insights.

One more story about the connectional church.  One of the commissioners on the committee I am serving is a minister from Charlotte, where my daughter went to college.  She knew the church where my daughter attended.  She is also from Wilmington, OH, and when she started talking about her ordination service, I realized that I had been the Moderator (or Vice-Moderator subbing for the Moderator) who presided at her ordination service.  Neither of us really remembered meeting, but we remembered enough about the service to know that we were both there!  Or course, it not only reminded me of the connectional system I love, but also how long I've been in ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment