Thursday, October 22, 2015

"Contacts" I Corinthians 12: 12-3; Psalm 133

The sermon series on iPhone theology continues, this week reflecting on the "Contact" portion of the phone and what it reveals about community.

Random thoughts/questions about contacts:

     1. When do you go to the trouble to put someone in your contact list on your phone?

      2.  When I inherited the phone from my daughter, I inherited her contact list as well.  I went through and deleted some of them; other I kept.

     3.  If I call someone frequently, I put their information in my contacts.  If it's a number, I seldom call, I don't generally add it.

      4. exceptions might be people I want to be identified when they call, so I know that particular person is calling.

      5. There is a "Favorites" section of the contacts.  Who gets there?

     6.  My circle of friends in some ways gets reduced to whom I can call easily on the phone.  My good friend Ed DeLair became my good friend in part because we both had Verizon phone plans, both were on the road quite a bit, which meant we had the opportunity to call each other at no additional cost.  If we had used up minutes would we have talked as frequently?

The Psalmist in Psalm 133 celebrates being in community with one another.

Paul suggests that the the community is needed because of the different skills people have, all of which are needed for the work of the community.

We self-select our contact (i.e. our phone community); theologically, we would argue that God calls us into community.  Two very different approaches to community.






No comments:

Post a Comment