Thursday, May 28, 2015

"the Touch of God" John 3: 1-17; Ruth 2: 7-14

On Trinity Sunday I finish the "Touched by God" preaching series with renewal of baptismal vows. My thoughts are racing back and forth between touch, Trinity, and baptismal vows.  As live sermon illustrations, the gathered congregation has the opportunity to touch the baptismal waters and be touched as I anoint them.

Interestingly, Martin Luther ties baptism into the a Trinitarian conversation as follows:   Luther continues “Hence, not only are sins forgiven in baptism, but we are also made sure and certain that God is well pleased with it that he together with Christ and his Holy Spirit, propose to be present when it is administered and he himself will be the baptizer; although this glorious revelation of the divine majesty does not now occur visibly, as it did that time on the Jordan, since it is sufficient that it occurred once as a witness and a sign.” http://www.ctsfw.edu/document.doc?id=288;  AE 51:318-319; from BAPTISM AS CONSOLATION IN LUTHER’S PASTORAL CARE Seminar Presentation: Tenth International Congress for Luther Research, Copenhagen, August 2002; -John T.Pless Concordia Theological Seminary Fort Wayne, Indiana USA IX. 8.2002

I also have a couple of touch stories I have not used.  Well, I did use the story of my brother who likes to rub ears as as sign of affection (usually with his son, or when he was younger with my mother).  I mentioned it one week in the Time with Young Disciples, but I have not expanded it in a sermon yet.

I also have an interesting story from a soccer game about being touched that I might share.

The text I picked for this sermon at the beginning of the preaching series is from the Gospel of John in which Nicodemus is told by Jesus that he must be born again.  Not sure why I picked it or how I am going to preach it Sunday.

I added another Scripture lesson from the story of Ruth (right after she meets Boaz).  As Eugene Peterson translates it, Ruth says to Boaz:  She said, “Oh sir, such grace, such kindness—I don’t deserve it. You’ve touched my heart, treated me like one of your own. And I don’t even belong here!”  I was struck in those words by the God who touches us, we who do not deserve it, but are still treated by God as one of God's own.

Do you have a touch story to share before this series ends?

No comments:

Post a Comment