Friday, May 15, 2015

"Is the Touch for Sale?" Acts 8: 14-25; Numbers 27: 18-23

Admittedly, most biblical scholars are focusing less on Simon than on the Holy Spirit in this story! But, I thought it was a great story since Simon wants to have Peter's ability to lay on hands and have the power of the Holy Spirit bestowed.  Initially, Simon seems to want the power; when Peter calls him on this, he seems to repent from that desire.

Notice the contrast that is created between Peter, Christ's disciple who baptizes and lays on hands, and Simon, who is a magician.  In part, this story announces to the world that Jesus' followers are not magicians -- their touch conveys the power of God.

The word translated "power" (exousia) in vs. 19 denotes the legal authority to make decisions (New Interpreter's Bible).  For Simon, it is a business deal by which he will acquire the power of the touch of God.  Peter is not interested.

The story reminds us that not only are people desiring to be touched by God, but that some want to be able to offer the touch of God.

I am reminded that when we read about the touch of God, it is not just a tactile experience, but a new life given to the person by the power of God.

One of our former members who ushered each week in the Chapel (and was there when he did not usher) used to fist bump me every week as I walked down the aisle at the end of worship.  not sure if it fits in this sermon, but I thought about it as I reflected on this week's passage.

The Numbers passage reminds us that the laying on of hands to bestow God's power is not new to Jesus' disciples and the stories in Acts.

We are receiving new members after the sermon.  I have added into the service a bit where I touch each new member as I recite a charge.  It is part of the liturgy, but I have always left it out, but given the series on touch I have added it back for this service.  It will be interesting to see how it feels as part of the new member ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment