Thursday, March 26, 2015

"Going to a Parade" Mark 2: 1-12; Mark 11:1-11

This is the last sermon in the Engage series we have been following in sermons and small groups during Lent.  Since it is on Palm Sunday, I am not sure if I am adapting the Palm Sunday story to the Engage series or vice versa.  I have definitely paired the recommended text from Engage to finish their series with the Palm Sunday story.

The Engage text (the lowering of the paralytic through the roof) and the Palm Sunday story both have people seeking out Jesus.

I am reflecting on going to a parade and who we might invite to a parade.  When I think about going to parades, I am reminded of having breakfast on the front lawn of a Market St. home as we watched the Strawberry Festival parade.  I have vague memories of going to the Sun Bowl parade as a young child in El Paso, Texas (is that right, Mom?).  When I lived in Corsicana, TX, they had a parade for Derrick Days (a  spring festival).  When the parade quickly went by and I started to leave, someone told me to wait because there was more to come; and here came the parade around a second time. Parades are exciting (unless it is really, really hot, and then they are more hot than exiting!).

I can hear a conversation between someone headed out to the parade into Jerusalem inviting a friend to go along.  What would be the key selling point?  I suspect it would be similar to why the paralytics's friends wanted to take him to meet Jesus.  Notice how determined they were to have their crippled friend engage Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment