Sunday, October 5, 2014

"What If God Didn't Give Us..." Genesis 2: 4b-9; John 17: 20-26

Some of the good things about preaching a series are:  if the listeners get engaged, they will want more; there is some continuity; I can focus and study on a topic that will keep appearing through the whole series.

Some of the challenges:  if the listener does not get into the series, you lose for the next six weeks; sometimes the box created by the sermon series becomes hard to negotiate; it's hard to keep from having too much overlap or looking to future topics.

This sermon probably reflected all of that.  I like the idea as presented, but am challenged with making it work for the next six weeks.

It's also a bit contrived to think about "what if God didn't do something."

Nevertheless, the following kicked off the series.

The italics at the end of the sermon is what I added for the Sanctuary service that I did not do in the Chapel service.  I think it was a better ending.

"What If God Didn't Give Us...” October 5, 2014; FPC, Troy; Stewardship series; 2014 Genesis 2: 4b-9; John 17: 20-26

Introduction: It happened to me just this past week. It seems to happen to me more often these days.

I was leaving a store, pushing my cart with all the items I had bought. I spied a card table where a couple of adults were sitting.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a couple of young men one of whom had a sign that I quickly read “troop...” before I looked away.

I instantly knew that they were selling something,
selling something for a good cause,
selling something for a good cause that I did not want,
I avoided eye contact and began my journey to the car.

With my back to them, a pang of guilt raced through me, quickly replaced by rationalization.
I didn't need what they were selling.
I didn't have any cash in my wallet.
I usually buy popcorn from a Boy Scout I know personally.

But I could not shake the thought: “What if I didn't give, and they really needed the money.”

the Interpretation and Stewardship committee thought it would be an interesting exercise for all of us ask ourselves a series of questions this fall that begin with “What if I didn't give...”

What if I didn't give – in general terms

What if I didn't give my time
What if I didn't give to the budget?

What if I didn't give to other groups and special projects.

And we finish with the affirmation that we do give.

We are going to have some interesting opportunities for reflection over the next six weeks or so.

Before arriving at the question about our own giving, we have to go to the foundation for our giving, God, and ask that similar questions about God.

This morning, we reflect on these two questions: .

What if God didn't give us the gift of life?

What if God did not give us gift of Jesus Christ?

Move 1: I find the passage we read from Genesis one of the most moving images in scripture.

a. I have never used a pottery wheel, but I've seen it done.

1. the blob of clay taking shape as the potter spins the wheel and shapes it with her hands.

2. the object taking form at the will of the potter.

b. God literally scooping up mud and blowing God's very breath into it to call us into being.

1. we owe our very being to God.

2. We exist only because of God's choosing.

  1. Our shape and form come from God.
4. We are intimately connected with God because it is the very breath of God that gives us life.
  1. If God did not give us the breath of life, where would we be?

  1. I don't want to prematurely end our reflections, but simply put, if God did not create us, then we would not be here.

    1. List all the things you love about your life – you would have none of them and you would not be here to enjoy them without God breathing your life into you.

    1. Robotic cheetah (http://www.businessinsider.com/silent-robot-cheetah-from-darpa-and-mit-2014-9, MIT's Super-Stealthy Robot Cheetah Can Run You Dow, Jessica Orwig)

    1. no relationship.

    1. Being filled with the breath of God is an intimate relationship with God.

6. relationships with each other.

Move 2: What if God did not give us Christ.

a. As we come to our Lord's Table today on World Communion Sunday, we pause and ponder what our lives would be like if Christ had not come, if we did not have this gift of Christ to sustain us.

1. Lots of thoughts might come to mind.

2. Without the coming of Christ, where would find forgiveness.

3. without Christ dying on the cross, how could we hope for salvation.

b. Love.

1. AS we read Jesus' words that he shared with God just before being arrested, we are reminded that Christ is our invitation to know God's love.

2. Christ is our access to God's love.

3. Christ God's love on full display.

4. WE can dare to believe that God loves us and we can risk ourselves in loving others because Christ has shown us God's love.

5. If God did not give us Christ, we would not know God's great desire to love us, nor would we know the fullness of God's love.
Conclusion: Perhaps the most memorable playing out of the “what if...” takes place in the Christmas classic It's a Wonderful Life.

As you may recall, George Bailey, as played by Jimmy Stewart, is unhappy with the way his life has turned out. He has not lived out the dreams of his childhood; he has been trapped by circumstances beyond his control;

As he faces what he sees as his miserable life, he wishes that he had never been born.

Clarence, the bumbling wannabe angel arrives on the scene to reveal with George what the world of Bedford Falls would have been like if George had never been born.

George discovers that the “what if...” looks rather grim – lives not changed; opportunities not lived out; love not shared.
As you know, he decides that he has a wonderful life after all.

God has given each of us the wonderful gift of life and the gift of Christ.

All we are and all we have are because God has given to us.
We can ask “What if...” about God because God has already answered.” Amen.







.








No comments:

Post a Comment