Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reflections on "If I Didn't Give of My Time and Talents" Exodus 4: 10-17; I Corinthians 12: 27-31

One aspect of preaching series that I like is the building of the theme, even though it might be a bit repetitive for anyone who is here each week.  But, it also allows me to "catch up" those who have missed out on previous sermons.

This week the sermon went very well and smoothly in the Chapel service.  That often means, and it did this time, that I end up stumbling a bit in the Sanctuary service.  Maybe I relax a little and lose the edge - not really sure, but I had a few stumbles in the Sanctuary sermon that I would prefer to not have.

I intentionally had an illustration from several churches I have served, including FPC, Troy, to subtly make the point about the work of the church as the body of Christ.   But, it ended up, particularly once I added the story from my Jr. year in high school to have to much of my story.  I'm also not sure how often I've told the mission stories in the years I have been here since they are fundamental to what I believe about serving God.  I've probably referenced those stories in different ways through the years, and perhaps even in sermons.

"What If I Didn't Give Time and Talents” October 19, 2014; FPC, Troy; Stewardship series; 2014 I Corinthians 12: 27-31

Introduction: We continue reflecting on the question, “What if I didn't give...?”

We began two weeks ago thinking about what if God did not give to us, then last week thought about the question in general terms. This week we sharpen our focus a bit and reflect on the question: “what if I didn't give my time and my talents?”

I might note that this is not my question that I answer with a sermon each week, but a question for each of us. As I reflect on that question in the sermon each week, you are encouraged to answer that question in the context of your own life.

Move 1: If I did not give of my time and talents, in part, I would not grow into who I am as a follower of Christ.

a. When we offer ourselves, our time and our talents, to God, we often discover gifts we did not know we have

    1. First lessons about mission trips was that people could learn new skills.
    2. Very exciting.
    3. When I was serving a church on internship during seminary, I led the youth on a couple of mission trips.
    4. while on those mission trips, I learned how to wire electrical outlets and light sockets and how to install insulation. New talents.
    5. he church I served in KY would roof each Habitat house that was built in the county – we'd pay for the shingles, provide the labor, and the leadership.
    4. I learned how to lay and hammer shingles (I also learned that being the one to carry the shingles up the ladder was not a good thing!).
    5. I helped dry wall, but would never want to do that again!

6. more skills for me.
      7. Not just about developing skills. On one mission trip, I watched two young women who were about to start college learn how to mix and pour cement. Later as we debriefed, one of the young women noted that she was worried about college, but she had decided that day that if she could mix and pour cement, she could probably handle anything she might encounter at college.
      8. Learning new skills allows us to grow as into who we are as disciples of Christ.
        b. Second lesson was taught to be me by a doctor in the church I served in Mt. Sterling, KY.

    1. He invited me to lunch one day to talk about mission projects.
    2. He said, “Richard, you keep preaching about doing mission and learning new skills. That's great, but I've spent a lot of time learning how to be a physician. I think I can do a lot more good for God by using those skills than hammering shingles up on a roof!”
    3. “Okay,” I replied, “then what do you have in mind?”

      4. That began a conversation that led to the creation of a free medical clinic in the church's facility.
      5. He had a skill already that he wanted to use in his service to God.

  1. The story we read in Exodus is about God giving us the talent to be used for God's work.
    1. God has approached Moses and told him that he would be leading the Israelites against Pharaoh and ultimately out of Egypt.
    2. Moses is not so sure he wants to take on this responsibility. He is looking for an excuse – so he tells' God, “I do not have the skill of public speaking. I cannot lead your people”
    2. God responds with a strong reminder: “who gives speech to mortals.”
    3. In other words, God says, “Hey, Moses, who do you think gives people the talent they have?”

    1. As the story continues, God apparently gives in to Moses' comment about not having public speaking skills, but then God reminds Moses – “your brother Aaron has the gift of speaking. He'll do the talking; you'll do the leading.”

    1. stop there – do not miss this point – God is the one who gives us our talents; God expects us to use those talents and to work together in the sharing of our talents.

God equips us for ministry.

If I did not give of my time and talents, I would not grow into who God calls me to be.

Move 2: If I did not give of my time and talents, I would not see beyond myself.

a. One of the challenges we have as as followers of Christ is not being satisfied with being connected with Christ.

  1. Too easy to decide that we have a relationship with Christ, and that's the end of the story.

    1. To be a follower of Christ, however, means to take on the tasks of Christ in the world until he comes again.
    2. That's why we call ourselves the body of Christ – we are doing what Christ calls us to do in the world.
        b. Using our gifts to serve others pushes us beyond ourselves.
          1. I had a Chemistry teacher my Jr. year in high school.
          2. When I hear my daughters talk about their Jr. year in high school being the toughest year, that's how I remember it that was as well.
          3. The sophomore year (we had a three year high school) that was full of new, exciting experiences was a thing of the past and the Sr. year with all the festivities and honors was still a year away. I was stuck in the doldrums of the Jr. High.
          4. My chemistry teacher called me up to her desk one day. She asked me how things were going because she could tell I was struggling. I suppose I told her my sad, sob story.

  1. Her response? She told me that she had learned through the years that when she was going through a rough spell, the best thing she would do was to do something for someone else. To extend beyond myself and serve others.

  1. I did, and she was right. When I was helping someone else, I was a lot less concerned about my own little issues.

7. I don't remember much Chemistry, but I'm forever grateful for the life lesson taught by my chemistry teacher.
b. When we give of our time and talents, it pushes us to move beyond ourselves and engage the world around us.

    1. Volunteer a few days at the Breakfast Club or talk to someone who does volunteer there.
    2. I bet you will discover that when you work at the Breakfast Club you meet people and you might not notice otherwise. You learn their stories; you develop relationships; and you discover it's not just a one-way street of ministry – those serving breakfast and those being served breakfast are better for the experience.
    If I did not give my time and talents, I would not push beyond myself.

Move 3: Finally, If we did not give of our time and talents, the church could not live fully into its calling as the body of Christ.

a. That is what's at stake in Paul's discussion of the different gifts people have for different tasks.

  1. He is trying to help these early Christians discover not only what it means to be the church in an institutional sense, but how they can manage to live into their work as the body of Christ.
  2. There is more for the body of Christ to do in the world than any one of them can do. The same is true today for us.
  3. Paul reminds that God brings them together for theses tasks; that God equips them for the tasks.
  4. There are multiple talents to be found in the church because their calling as the body of Christ requires those talents.
  5. We are back to the story in Exodus – God needs leaders for the Israelites, so God sends Moses with his gift of leadership and Aaron with his gift for public speaking.
    b. Consider all the ministries in which this congregation already engages and the possibilities for ministry that await us.
      1. It is more than any one of us can do.
      2. It is not more than we can do collectively, and if it seems like it is, just wait because God is sending someone with the talent needed or showing one of us how to develop that talent.

If I did not give of my time and talents, the church could not live fully into its calling.



Conclusion: I finish with a quote from Erma Bombeck. I shared it with the congregation a few years ago after a member saw it at another church while serving on a mission trip. Bombeck notes: "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say ' I used everything you gave me' " (Ellen Luken shared this quote at the 11/11 Session meeting. It had been on a cross at the church that hosted a PDA camp in TX.FPC, Troy, Advent, 2012)

If I didn’t give my time and talents...”





No comments:

Post a Comment