Thursday, May 15, 2014

"Free to Forgive" John 20: 19-23; Matthew 18:23-35

The sermon series continues on how the resurrection frees us to be the persons God calls us to be, the person we want to be.

Last week we reflected on how God forgives us.  This week we build on that and reflect on how we are free to forgive others.

1.  Note that this powerful passage from John comes after the resurrection of Christ.  I'm not sure how to interpret this passage, but I do know that Jesus' high expectations of us to forgive can only be possible after the resurrection!

2.  I don't think that Jesus will withhold forgiveness from those people we do not forgive, but he is telling the community of believers that if they want to do the work of the resurrected Christ, it begins with the task of forgiveness.  We may forgive because it makes us feel better, but we must forgive if we want to be the body of Christ and serve the world as Christ did.

3. I do not view very many video clips tagged on Facebook, but I was curious about this one when a minister whom I went to high school with posted it on his FB page.  Turns out it is a series of people holding cardboard signs like "they bullied me." or "they killed my daughter." After showing everyone's signs dictating how they had been hurt, everyone was seen again with the other side of the signs that read that had words of forgiveness.  A rather powerful video clip.  http://gracevine.christiantoday.com/video/when-the-father-flips-the-sign-over-you-will-be-just-amazed-i-bet-this-will-change-you-1291

I would love to read your story of about forgiving someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment