Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Show Me a Sign" Judges 6

Chapter 6 begins the Gideon story.  Here are a few tidbits of information.

1.  This story will be the first time in Judges when God's answer to Israel's plea is a rebuke.  Gideon will still save Israel, but as the sinfulness of Israel continues, God seems a little less willing to let it go.  In fact, before sending a deliverer, God sends a prophet to describe Israel's unfaithfulness.

2.  The description of Israel living in shelters and the Midianites taking possession of the land shows a reversal of lifestyles -- the Israelites who settled the Promised Land are now forced off the land to become nomad, and the Midianites who had been nomads are now settling into possession of the land.

3.  Gideon is the only judge who is called through a theophany.

4.  Before Gideon can save Israel, he must confront the idolatry in his own backyard, the altars built to Baal.

5.  We tend to make Gideon's asking for signs something powerful, but doesn't it show off his lack of faith as well?  In our world of people needing proof for just about anything, perhaps we can relate to Gideon's desire for signs.

6.  When Gideon does respond by tearing down the altars, he does so at night so that no one will see him do it.  In fact, the real hero of the story might be his father who deals with the crowd that shows up at his house looking for Gideon.

7.

What theme appeals to you?

2 comments:

  1. If you need a sign I have a great story about my cat. Both of my cats moved with me up to Moraine in July. My cat Baby who always was an explorer BOLTED off our patio deck. I assumed he had found a better place LOL.
    Skip 8 months to yesterday. I went over to Huber to pick up Jessica. I said HI to my next door neighbour, who actually is never home on Fridays.
    He said Lisa is this your cat?
    They had been feeding it for about a month, it would spend his nights on our driveway ,but because it was nite Jessica could not tell if it was Baby or not.
    I took one look and said yes and my cat started purring so loud. So my cat had found his way back to Huber from Moraine it took him about 6 months. I know belive in signs and so does Jessica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he bolted off the deck in March.

    ReplyDelete