Friday, August 10, 2012

"those Around Us" Titus 2: 1-15

As I reflect on this week's passage from Titus, I am reminded that many sermons I preach hit on the theme of community.  In fact, a couple of week's ago I used the powerful image of needing three persons in our lives:  someone we mentor; someone who mentors us; someone who walks with us.  That idea speaks to the importance of community.

This week, the letter to Titus pushes on him to model for all the different ages in the community how to live as Christ calls us to live.  It hits me three ways (at this point):  the importance of modeling behavior for others; the presence of all the different ages with their different issues in our community of faith; trying to decide if it works better to connect with someone in your demographic or if it is better to have a blend of demographics.   I have shared previously (I think) that I attended a Presbyterian Church in college because the chapel program only had students (and a few faculty).  I missed the broader demographics of a church.  But, retreats with other college students held by the chapel gave me an opportunity to share and learn from peers.  Which is better?

What thoughts do you have as you read the text?

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment