Friday, August 24, 2012

"Learning" Titus 3: 12-15

This passage concludes Paul's letter to Titus.  It finishes by mentioning a few persons personally (a Pauline trait) and exhorting people to learn to do good works.  Here are my initial thoughts as I explore the passage:

1.  The letter mentions that one of the persons is a lawyer.  It made me wonder if they had lawyer jokes back in those days!  Did it note that one was a lawyer to suggest that even a learned lawyer needed to learn?  Were there two people with the same name, so the mention of being a lawyer merely a way to identify which person?

2.  It suggests we have to learn to devote ourselves to good works.  how do we learn that?  If we have to learn, it also suggests to me that the church has a role in teaching.

3.  Notice that they are to learn good works so that they "may not be unproductive."  That seems to speak to the person performing the good work, not the person receiving the good work.

4. Earlier in Chapter 3 we are reminded that Christ does not save us because of our good works.

Not sure where the sermon is here, but hopefully it will arrive by Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I hope your sermon came bck to you............... I have two good lawyers, also my brother in law Sam Huffman is a lwayer. I do not know any lawyer jokes.

    P.S. I am now online... it was nice not having the tv and computer I did not miss what I did not have.

    ReplyDelete