Friday, June 1, 2012

"A Mystery" John 1: 1-18; Romans 8: 12-17

The sermon series on "telling our stories" concludes with this sermon that suggests that we can never fully know God's story or even our own story.  Sunday is also Trinity Sunday, which is the Sunday when we focus on the mystery of knowing God in three persons -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

In William Placher's section on the canon, he writes:  "If we do not accept the rough reliability of the picture of Jesus we get in the Bible, then we just cannot know who he was" (Placher, The Triune God, 62).  Placher notes this in response to people who suggest that their are other non-canonical texts that have lots of information about who Jesus was.  As I read that in the context of preparing to preach on the Trinity, it occurred to me that if the Bible is all we have, then we better get comfortable with following a mysterious God because there are a lot of unknowns about God in the biblical text.

How have you encountered the mysterious nature of God?

The Trinity is about how God is revealed to us in three persons, but I do not believe we ever have full understanding or complete revelation.  Likewise, do we ever get to where we completely understand what is happening in our own lives?  Or have complete knowledge of what God is doing or is going to do with us?

Peace,

Richard

1 comment:

  1. I know I don't get to place where I know what is going on in my life. If I do - a few days go by and things change. there is always the future for changes.

    ReplyDelete