Saturday, June 9, 2012

"Four Seeds" Mark 4: 1-9; 13-20

late getting blog info to you, and I don't have much material to report.

The text is the parable of the sower.  I am the Christian education person for Sports camp at Kirkmont Camp and Conference center, and the curriculum focuses on six of Jesus' parables.  I will be preaching each week on the parables, in part to help prepare me for my CE gig at the end of July!

The Markan passage has both the parable and then Jesus' explanation (vss. 13-20).  Many scholars believe that Jesus' interpretation represents the voice of the early church, not necessarily the words of Christ.  Not sure it makes a difference to how we interpret the text, but it is something to consider.

I have been playing with how to approach the text.  Do we think about how we are the different seeds?  Maybe at different times in life we are different seeds?  Most of the people listening would be seeds that grew, right?  Or else they would not be in church?

Maybe it would be interesting to think about the church as the soil.  How do we provide fertile ground for God's Word to be heard?

No comments:

Post a Comment