Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Surprises along the Way" Genesis 20:1-7; Genesis 21: 1-7

What surprises have you along your faith journey and how did you handle them?  Abraham and Sarah have several surprises along the way and handle them differently.  This week we look at two different responses. In one instance, Abraham and Sarah find themselves among strangers, and Abraham lies and says that Sarah is his sister.  In another instance, Sarah finally give birth to her son.  She laughs about his being born to her and names him Isaac, which means "laughter."  When dealing with one surprise, Abraham lies; when dealing with another surprise, Sarah laughs.

I've been reflecting this week on helpful ways to deal with surprises.  Lying did not work so well.  Laughter seemed like an appropriate response.  What other ways have you dealt with surprises?

Throughout the human responses, we also see God continuing to be faithful to Abraham and Sarah.

Peace,

Richard

1 comment:

  1. I like good surpises such as a birthday party,unexpected money, a problem easily solved. I handle surprises by not dealing with them. I tend to like "all my ducks in order' so to say. I tend to get angry when things come upon me. I do not lie because one lie turns into anothter lie. I am continuously learning to take life as it comes.After so many bumps I try to look at my bumps as blessings. I try to find the comical side of life. We were put on this earth to be happy. When life gets me lemons, I make lemonades.
    Peace :) Lisa ps: I tend to get off subject but I thought the question required a variety of answers.

    ReplyDelete