Friday, January 13, 2012

"Reading the Signs" Deuteronomy 6: 20-25; I Corinthians 1: 17-31

This sermon grew out of my listening to people this summer share their faith journey and how God had called them at different times to different tasks.  That's sounds great when I hear people tell their stories, but then I puzzle over how to read the signs to know when God is sending me a sign.  Or I talk with people who have had an event occur and wonder if that is a sign from God.

The passage in Deuteronomy builds into the Israelite story the belief that what God did against Egypt and Pharaoh were signs from God.  I find it interesting that this conversation is tied to the statutes and ordinances they were supposed to obey.  The message seems to be, "You remember those signs (the plagues, etc.), well you better obey God or those signs will come again!"  Not sure that's what God would have had in mind.

Paul's letter to the Corinthians describes people looking for signs, and then directs them to Christ crucified.  As if to say, "The cross is your sign."  Somehow I think most of us need more than that, but it provides a wonderful  reminder that the signs ought to lead us to the crucified one.

Do you find yourself looking for signs?  

Have you had experiences in your life when you saw a sign from God that informed what you were doing?

Please read those as questions seeking answers, not merely rhetorical questions!  I would love to hear from you.  If you have a story that I can share in the sermon, please let me know. I'll not identify you if you give me permission to share the story.  Others might benefit from your experience at reading the signs.

Peace,

Richard

1 comment: