Thursday, November 3, 2011

"The Gift" Luke 22: 14-23; Genesis 33: 5-11

We celebrate our Lord's Supper this Sunday, which is also the Sunday before Commitment Sunday for our capital campaign.  I have been reflecting on how God's gift of Christ sets the stage for all the gifts we return to God.

I am cautious about this sermon because I do not want it to become "God sent Jesus to die as a gift, so we should give to the capital campaign."  That seems manipulative. I remember being at a youth conference and the leader ended the conference with this emotional (thumping on the guitar for each nail strike), powerful, telling of Christ's crucifixion before suggesting that how the youth lived was directly tied to Christ's death.But I also think that God's gift of Christ ought to speak to us when we consider giving.   Part of me wants to note in the sermon that potential to manipulate; part of me think that I should not name that concern as it might distract from the sermon.  I'd be curious is anyone has a feeling one way or another.

We are also reading the passage in Genesis where Jacob is being greeted by his brother Esau (from whom he stole the family birthright).  Jacob nervously gives gifts to Esau because he is so excited to see his brothers face and because God has so graciously blessed him.  I think Jacob's reasoning is sound, but I suspect that Jacob was speaking of the gifts in glowing ways, when what he really meant was, "if I give you these gifts, will you please not harm me for all the harm I did to you?" (Richard's interpretation based on Jacob's history!).  The story made me think about Jacob giving a gift for the wrong reason (maybe), but it was still the right gift.  And Esau receiving the gift, regardless of the motive.  Not sure how that fits, but it is running through my mind as I prepare the sermon.

I heard this Erma Bombeck quote at the Session meeting:  "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say ' I used everything you gave me' ".

I'm not sure if it will make it into the sermon, but it resonated with me.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment