Friday, November 11, 2011

"A Celebration" II Corinthians 9: 6-15; Psalm 145

I am way behind in my sermon preparation this week.

It's Celebration Sunday, the day we make our commitments to our "Shining Our Light" capital campaign and the 2012 operating budget.  I have been thinking a lot about celebrating knowing this day was approaching.  Here are a few of the seemingly random thoughts.

1. "Celebrate" in Psalm 147 literally means to "pour forth," which would have the verse read as "they shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness."  That context suggests that "celebrate" has an outward focus to it -- that is, the story of God's abundant goodness gets shared with others.  Typically, I think of celebration as having a inward/personal connotation for the person or group celebrating.

2.  What if you do not feel like celebrating right now?  I'm thinking about those people who are in the midst of struggles and uncertainties and can't find much to celebrate.   Should they be forced to celebrate?  Or made to feel guilty if they do not celebrate?  Can the community's celebration be for even those who do not want to celebrate?

3. how many people on Sunday are going to be celebrating that we are done with the emphasis on the capital campaign and stewardship?

4.  Paul's passage includes the "cheerful giver" phrase that many of us have heard over the years.  I remember someone telling me (truthfully) that they had lowered their pledge because the sermon on being a cheerful giver had indicated they should only give an amount that made them cheerful; so they lowered their commitment and it made them cheerful.  I had the opposite experience during the first capital campaign I ever participated in at the church I served in KY.  I had made a pledge, but the guest preacher was so inspiring that I upped our pledge by a $1,000 dollars (without telling my wife, mind you).  It really got me excited about giving and put a smile on my face.  Perhaps some of us will be celebrating Sunday because we have made a commitment that excites us.

5. Send me a story about a great celebration you have had.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment