Friday, March 11, 2011

"Unbinding Your Heart" Lenten series Isaiah 55: 1-5 Romans 5: 6-11

Welcome to those of you who are visiting the blog as part of First Presbyterian's Lenten study on UNBINDING YOUR HEART: 40 DAYS OF PRAYER AND FAITH SHARING and thanks to those of you who continue to follow my preaching blog.

During Lent, I have committed to preaching each week on the week's study from the book many in our church are reading and sharing in small groups (email Kathy Wehrman, kwehrman@fpctroy.org, if you are interested in joining a group).

The first week introduces the word evangelism, acknowledges that many of us shy away from that word, but then shifts the conversation why we might share our faith. For me, it comes down to this thought -- if being a follower of Christ has made a difference in my life, then I might want to share with others this powerful experience with others.

Last week I ran into a colleague and noted that he had lost some weight. He responded with enthusiasm and shared with me what he has done to lose 45 lbs. and how much better it makes him feel. His excitement made me want to put into action what had worked for him because I wanted what he had (the lost lbs. and the feeling so energized). How easily we engaged in that conversation. How much more does my fiaht mean to me than my diet, so why does it sometimes seem easier to talk about diet than my faith?

As I reflected on the question "Does it make a difference that I have God in my life?", I envision at least two ways it impacts people. For some, the impact seems to be mainly internal -- a sense of confidence as someone faces death; the confidence that comes from knowing God's love; the self-assurance of someone who has discovered she does not have to prove herself. For others, I think the impact is seen in their actions: the desire to go on a mission trip or serve at Breakfast Club; the desire someone has to develop relationships in the community of faith; someone choosing to take on the challenge of adjusting his finances to give back more to God. I suppose for many of us the difference God makes in our lives is a blend of those categories (or maybe more categories).

What difference does it make in your life that you follow Jesus Christ?

How do others see that difference in you?

In addition to the weekly reflections, I hope those of you reading the book will take advantage of the prayer guide at the back of the book and spend Lent adding that daily discipline to your lives.

Peace,

Richard

2 comments:

  1. The phrase "unbinding your heart" really resonates with me - it could mean so many things in a very simple phrase. I'm looking forward to your Lenten series and reflections on your blog.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that people can see the difference in me. It is in the small things that I try to do. Sometimes, even a smile can make someones day. :)
    It is hard to forgive others. I think that is what "unbinding" your heart means for me.

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete