Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reflections on "Opening the Window" Matthew 18: 15-20; Psalm 121

The Matthew 18: 15-20 was suggested in this week's chapter of Unbinding Your Heart; Psalm 121 is this week's lectionary passage and I read it this past week at a memorial service (so it is fresh on my mind).  This week's chapter focuses on prayer.  More specifically, using the discipline of prayer to open us up to what God desires of us and then the power of prayer to undergird us as we attempt to do what we believe God calls us to do.

I found two of the stories of prayer particularly compelling.  First of all, the story of the evangelism team that met and prayed for three months before doing anything else -- no decisions, no actions, nothing but prayer for three months.  Their patience was rewarded with a burst of energy and excitement when they did begin to make decisions.  As I try to imagine implementing that model, I wonder how open I (and others) would be to taking that time of intentional prayer.  Typically, I find myself (and others) willing to pray, but preferring to have answers  immediately or acting immediately and praying that God will be part of what we are doing.

Secondly, the story about the ministers in a town who met and prayed for two hours every week hit home.  I cannot imagine spending two consecutive hours in prayer, particularly with others.  The local ministers who meet together do so for an hour or so a month, but we busily discuss issues or have guest speakers.  Two hours of prayer!  But, on Ash Wednesday the last two years I have spent quite a bit of time (4 hours cumulatively) in the sanctuary alone, or with others in silence, as I wait to impose ashes on people.  It takes a little while to adjust to the quiet and nothing to do, but I find myself refreshed by the extended time of prayer and reflection that takes place during that day.  I wonder how much time I could carve out each week for prayer, if I made that my primary commitment?

I also note that the author reminds us that we need a community of faith to hold us accountable and guide us as we discern what God is telling us in time of prayer.

How would you describe your most meaningful experience of prayer?

What does your ongoing life of prayer look like?

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment