Monday, August 16, 2010

Reflections on "The Blessing"

I enjoyed Sunday's sermon as much as any sermon I have preached recently. At the park, the opportunity to have two of the young disciples kneel down while I illustrated how Jacob crossed his hands when he blessed them really added to the sermon. The baptism illustration seemed to work as well (I am indebted to Walter Brueggemann for the connection between messing up the blessing and messing up a baptism).

I think the image of God as one who cannot be bound by us or our rules and the sense that God always brings us hope are true to who God is. Perhaps a concrete illustration of an unbridled God at work might have been helpful. I find it hard to give concrete examples of God at work for fear of trivializing God's actions.

What worked for you in the sermon?

What needed more explanation or insight?

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment