Friday, June 25, 2010

Single issues and community

Much of the mail I have received in preparation for serving as a commissioner to General Assembly is from groups or people who are very interested in one issue. Typically, the group provides information and their suggestion as to what General Assembly should do (usually it means to vote for or against something). As I read this mail and contemplate how I might vote on an issue, I find myself wondering what will happen to the group who does not get enough votes for their issue. I suspect it means that they will be very upset, and if history repeats itself, will threaten to leave the denomination or actually leave. I find myself wondering how I can vote on an issue and still remain in community with people on both sides of the issue. Not an easy task. In fact, it seems to me that the church mirrors the secular world of politics (or vice versa) these days -- a world where we decide if a person is for us or against us based solely on one issue. I cannot fathom how that approach allows us to be in community with one another. Surely, being bound together in Christ is stronger than disagreement on one issue!

Peace,

Richard

2 comments:

  1. Richard,
    I remember having a discussion with a former candidate for the US House of Representatives who became an ordained Presbyterian minister. We came to the conclusion that theology in practice is nothing more than politics with God in the mix. Some how we forget that standing up for what we believe in is not as important as kneeling down to help those in need.

    I am truly blessed to be a part of a denomination that is always reforming and reflecting on our relationship and view of God. The God we serve is unchanging, however our knowledge and perspective on Him will always be new and diverse as we grow in Him.

    I pray that Christ will be with you at the General Assembly and that the decisions made will be guided by the Holy Spirit to further His church. I also pray that those who are in opposition to the issues chosen will remember that we are One Family in Christ.

    Peace be with you,
    Andy Beers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,
    You hit the mark. I find it interesting how Christians and politicians so enjoy arguing about the things on which we disagree instead of celebrating the issues on which we do agree. Christians sometimes spend more energy on topics that are insignificant in comparison to the trials that those who don't know the Lord often face.

    One of your recent newsletters gave me pause to ask whether I was generally building bridges in my life, or building walls. After pondering your thoughts, I have challenged myself to build more bridges than walls, and hopefully some new bridges over top of walls I have previously constructed.

    We'll be praying for you at GA. Remember, both sides of the issue on which you are voting believes that God is leading them to their conclusion. How can both be correct?

    ReplyDelete