Monday, June 28, 2010

Electing a moderator

General Assembly begins with one of the most exciting moments of the Assembly - the electing of a moderator. I used to think there was a pattern of male/female and clergy/elder that was typically followed, or at least impacted the voting. I'm not sure that is true anymore. In fact, when I read about the candidates, I ams truck by how diverse they are. As I read about the candidates, it occurred to me that the Presbyterian Church in its demographics. Perhaps we do not see it in the pews in many of our churches, but the moderatorial candidates certainly reflect a different looking church than the one I remember from my childhood. I will have a chance to hear the candidates speak at a lunch Saturday afternoon and then again before the vote that evening at the first gathering of all the commissioners. I am excited to hear their visions for who we are as the Presbyterian Church.

If you want to read about the candidates, follow this link: http://www.pcusa.org/ga219/business/modelect.htm I'd love to hear your impressions of the different candidates.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment