Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lenten intrusion

We are asked this week to find one aspect from our wilderness experience to focus on for the remainder of Lent. I suppose I have already done that by beginning my commitment to pray daily for members on Ash Wednesday. If you are picking one aspect of your life, hang on to the authors' reminder to make it something regular and reasonable.

1. Regular -- if we are not engaged regularly by what we give up or add to our lives, then we miss the opportunity to be instructed by our Lenten discipline.

2. Reasonable -- I'm not sure whether I like this suggestion or not. On the one hand, I know what it can be like to fail quickly at my Lenten discipline and have Lent become six weeks of daily reminders of my failure. On the other hand, I like the idea of being challenged in the Lenten discipline.

I'd be curious how you have made your choice of what to make as your Lenten discipline.

3. I would also add accountability as an important part of the Lenten journey. For some, being accountable only to oneself works. For others, we may need to declare to our small group or to a friend or family member what we are doing for Lent so that we can be held accountable. One of the reasons I have made my Lenten discipline this year a matter of public record is that I really wanted to accomplish my goal, and I knew that being accountable to others made it more likely to happen. Believe me, every day that accountability factors into how I schedule my time to ensure that I have the proper time set aside for prayer.

I'd be interested if others share their Lenten discipline each year, and if, with whom?

Finally, I have discovered that my Lenten discipline is intruding on the rest of my life. In a concrete way, when I go to pray for a family or person, I look them up in the database and try to visualize where they live and who they are. That has led to discovering changes that have to made in the database or information we need to have for people, which is an added intrusion to my day (I might add my intrusions are filtering to Sue, the church secretary, as well).

But, I am also finding that as I pray for people, it is bringing to mind things I might want to do for them or comments that need to be shared with them. The Lenten discipline is taking on a life of its own. I have to say that giving up chocolate sometimes caused a new pattern (i.e. -- switching from M&Ms to a Payday candy bar) to emerge, but I do not recall the changing pattern bring a such a positive element to my life.

I wonder if you have discovered unintended consequences from your Lenten discipline this year?

peace,

Richard


2 comments:

  1. Just a quick reflection before I head off to work. I've been thinking of my classroom as my wilderness. My class is very needy on many levels and while they are all sweet children, they can be difficult to work with. It struck me as I reread your post again this morning, that I need to spend time praying about one specific student each day, just as you pray for us. (Giving up sweets and wine just didn't feel as much like a lenten practice, although I will continue to do without them.) I am excited to consider the possiblities about what God might bring to their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can comment that this year my Lenten discipline of praying for members has, so far, been the best Lenten experience I can remember. part of it i would attribute to having 5 or so hours on ash Wednesday in the quiet of the sanctuary. What I thought was going to be a slow day turned into a powerful experience that set the stage for Lent for me.

    When I have found the "giving up" stuff most effective is when I have been able to translate that discipline to an improved sense of self and willingness to engage better because of it. one year, I combined both and when I wanted to eat chocolate, I prayed. That seemed to work fairly well.

    Are others tinkering with their Lenten discipline as they make the journey?

    Peace,

    Richard

    ReplyDelete