Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Law and grace

Although I am not sure this chapter (or my sermon) actually addresses the fundamental issues Paul has when discussing law and grace, I do think Paul's quote, "For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate," speaks to our Lenten experiences. We set a good goal; we know what we need to do to accomplish it; then we do not do it; in fact, we may do exactly the opposite of what we want to do.

In response to that human failing, we reminded of the importance of developing a rhythm as we engage our Lenten discipline. Have you created a new rhythm to your day that incorporates what you have added or given up this Lent?

I have discovered that I need to get my prayers done in the morning before people arrive at the office, or it becomes more difficult to make it happen. I have also discovered that if I end up having to do some of the praying at home, I need to be sitting at the kitchen table. The comfortable chair near the TV or laptop does not work!

the author also reminds us to see how law and grace can be part of our rhythm. Again, I am not sure that is the context in which is writing, but I recognize the issue the author addresses -- we need the discipline (read law) to give us structure for our Lenten discipline; we need grace to keep the law from destroying us when we fall short of our goal. I did not mention it in the sermon, but I thought the author made a powerful reference when she introduced the idea of bringing gentleness, or a gentle spirit (my words) to the process. I believe that gentle spirit also becomes a visible by-product of our Lenten discipline that others will be able to see and appreciate) in our lives.

Finally, the reference to God creating became critical to my reflections. Not as an argument for me to bring order to my life, but because of the questions it raised -- why did God create? or why did God bring order to chaos? Because God wanted to set the stage for having a loving relationship with humans. I found the answer to be a powerful reminder for why I am engaging in a Lenten discipline -- to grow in my relationship with God and grow in my relationship with others. Can you see how your Lenten discipline is allowing you to grow in relationship with God and with others?

Peace,

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Comments from Jo Hermes:

    I mentioned St. Paul's quote in Sunday School this past week, in fact, as being such a comfort in my life. Doing the opposite of my good intentions has always been disquieting. The balance of law and grace I appreciate, too. Also, the lesson of creation patterns coming out of chaos rather scientifically described by the author appeals to me. I have experienced a sense of relief each day I whittle away at my procrastinated Lenten project. I even looked at two other shelved items today and asked questions of experts to decide how to deal with them. Asking questions has always been a useful beginning, so that I don't veer off in a useless way. I've found I get into trouble if I barge ahead without knowing how to do something. Maybe that is one of my rationalizing thoughts to justify my procrastination. Do any of the other bloggers identify with that? Sticking with chaos as feeling more comfortable than taking the chance of making mistakes doesn't look too bright in the mirror in light of the author's "clearing" image, does it? Jo

    ReplyDelete