Sunday, May 29, 2016

"Sing a Song" Exodus 15: 19-21

Sunday's sermon begins a summer preaching series in which we reflect on some of the minor characters in the biblical texts.  In fact, there are still a few weeks open, so if you have a minor character you want to hear more about, let me know.  We begin with Miriam.

As you may recall, Miriam was Moses' sister.  I have also been working on my sister's memorial service this week, which I suspect made the sister stuff stand out more.  I find it powerful to imagine Miriam standing out of sight as she sees Pharoah's daughter find her brother Moses and decide to keep him.  I wonder how that memory impacted her through her life.

I read an author recently who likened this story to Israel's resurrection story (http://www.patheos.com/Progressive-Christian/Resurrection-Another-Name-John-Holbert-04-11-2014), which has some interesting parallels.

Miriam is also the one who turns against Moses in the wilderness (Numbers 12).

Not sure yet where this sermon is headed.





No comments:

Post a Comment