Friday, November 20, 2015

"Turn It Off" Genesis 2: 1-3; Mark 6: 45-46

I thought about turning off my cell phone for 24 hrs. in preparation for my sermon this week.  But, which day:  the days I was out of town and away from my family?  what days would I not have a child off to college somewhere who might need to call me?  could not do it on the day I had a child at home recovering from surgery for a day?  I did have a day when I was gone to a seminar, but then the person I was picking up asked me to text when I was leaving the church, so I needed the phone them; plus, the place hosting the seminar did not have wireless, so I could not connect my tablet to the wireless, which meant I had to use my phone to check email and check out the web when the seminar got a little slow (and during lunch I ran to a nursing home for a visit and had to use my map app since I had never been to the nursing home before.

On the seventh day God rested.  Six busy days, which I suppose are an argument for hard work, but then God rested.  I wonder why?

The Mark passage is one in which Jesus takes off and goes to a mountain and prays.  To get away?  To refresh?

Christ the King Sunday is the end of the liturgical calendar.  It anticipates Advent and Christmas, the busy time of year.  What's the last thought before heading into the busy-ness - Christ is King.  We are about to get really busy?  Any days off planned for the next month?

Can you turn it off?  For just a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment