Thursday, February 5, 2015

"One More Thing I Need from My Church: Mission" Matthew 28: 16-20; Amos 5: 21-27

Two classic texts when preaching on going into the world (Matthew) and social justice (Amos).  The intent of the sermon is not to make an argument for doing mission, which seems to be a biblical mandate that cannot be questioned, but to reflect on why we need to the church to lead us in that effort.

what reasons can you think of that we need our church doing mission?  Here are some of my thoughts as I brainstorm that:

1.  We need to be challenged in that area.

2.  The church has connections with other places.

3.  The sense of community.

4. It is the appropriate expression of our faith.

5.  The church can give us "hands-on" opportunities instead of just giving money.

6. when I get tired of doing mission, there is someone else there to do it.

What do you think? If the church did not encourage us to do mission, would we find other places to do it.

There is a lot of conversation out there about doing mission in ways that helps people change, rather than just accepting the help.  I'm not sure how, or if that speaks to this sermon.


No comments:

Post a Comment