Monday, July 21, 2014

Reflections on "The Voices of Change" Acts 9: 1-19

this sermon continues the series on "Significant Moments in Acts."  It would have been a good sermon to have multiple people participate as the different voices, but I did not work that far ahead.  

The dialogue included in the sermon is an approximation of what was actually said.  As I spoke their words, I found that they wanted to say things a bit differently than I had written them!

I find this story to be a powerful and instructive one for us today:  the gospel transforms lives (see Saul), and we need others to help us change (see Ananias).  And we live that out as part of our calling to follow Christ.  I hope the dialogue helped convey that message.

A final note -- I did not link the Saul's conversion story with Corneluis' conversion in Chapter 10, but I found the idea that those two stories need to be read in tandem to have some merit.

“The Voices of Change” July 20, 2014; FPC, Troy; Significant Moments in Acts; 2014 Acts 9: 1-19

Introduction: In one of her letters, the great American writer Flannery O'Connor commented on Paul: "I reckon the Lord knew that the only way to make a Christian out of that one was to knock him off his horse." (The Habit of Being (355) as quoted in Interpretation: a Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching Acts (William Willimon, 73).

The conversion of Saul to Paul may be the best known story in Acts, with the exception of the Pentecost story.

A powerful dramatic scene with a bright light from heaven, Saul being struck blind, and a voice speaking to him from the heavens.

Perhaps even more dramatic than the roadside scene is the change that takes place: Saul, the persecutor of Christians becomes Paul, the great evangelizer and leader of Christians.

But the story is also about Ananias, and his willingness to reach out to Saul.

As I reflected on both these men, I was struck by the Saul talking back to the voice from the heavens.

It occurs to me that Saul, and perhaps Ananias, and perhaps you and I engage in conversation with the voice of God as we try and understand our calling as disciples of Christ.

This morning, I invite you to listen to what might have been part of Saul's conversation with God; Ananias' conversation; and then Paul's conversation with God.

We have no record of these conversations, but in our heart of hearts, we know these types of conversations take place because we have them ourselves.

Move 1: What might Saul and God been talking about two days into Saul's blindness.

Saul: Uh God, I've had a couple of days to think about this, and I'm not sure I buy it.

I know that day on the road to Damascus, it seemed convincing that I was wrong about persecuting Christians.

When I was on my knees hearing a voice that I thought was your voice from the heavens, it was easy to believe that I was wrong to persecute Christians, but I'm not so sure I was wrong anymore.

After all, I have spent my life studying Torah. I'm a Pharisee. If anyone should recognize the Son of God, I should.

Who are these Christians to decide that Jesus was your Son?

There have been lots of stories of faith healers and miracle workers. I've even heard stories about people being raised from the dead. None of those people turned out to be the Son of God.

I'm usually right about matters of faith, and I'm pretty sure I just got caught up in the moment on the road to Damascus. I let my emotions get the better of me.

Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I'm not so sure whose voice I heard that day or who I saw. no one else saw anyone. OK, they say they heard your voice, but they only said that after I told them what I had heard.

When this temporary blindness goes away, I'm think I'm going to go back to my working finding Christians and holding them accountable to their false claims about the resurrection.

Lord: Really. You're not sure if you believe in resurrection? You're not sure whose voice that was?

You're still blind, right?

You may think it's temporary, but you keep praying to me to heal you. I'm going to send someone to heal you of your blindness. When that happens, will you then believe?

The voice from the heavens that you heard does not fit with what you want to believe because you want Pharisee answers.

I don’t' have Pharisaical answers – all I have is my love and the hope and power of the resurrection to give to you.

You want answers. So does everyone else.

Guess what you are the one who I am sending to bring them answers.

But you choose. Do you want to believe in my son Jesus, or do you want to cling to your desire to be right in the eyes of the Pharisees?

Your choice.

Move 2: As Saul ponders his choice, Ananias is having a conversation with God.

Ananias: you want me to what?

You really want me to go to the house where Saul is and touch his eyes so that he can be healed of his blindness.
God, you know who Saul is, right?

Saul, the one who stood by and smiled as they stoned Stephen.

Saul, the rabid Pharisees who wants to persecute Christians.

He came here to find people like me to punish us.

I know, I know. I've heard what he's telling people. How he's been changed. How the Lord spoke to him while he on the way her from Damascus.

But do you know how much evil this man Saul has done?

Can he really be changed? I’m not sure I can believe that.

It feels like you are asking me to walk into a trap.

God: I never said following my son Jesus would be easy. Part of being a disciple is being willing to serve in ways you mind not have imagined doing.

Sometimes you have to choose – do you want to do what I send you to do, or not.

Ananias: But, I am scared.

God: I know. But remember that I am with you. You go with the power of the Holy Spirit. I will not abandon you.

Ananias: I know, but I'm still scared.

Move 3: Even after Saul chooses to follow Christ and becomes Paul, he still is in conversation with God.

a. Paul: God, I'm not sure this is working.

I ask the Christians what they want me to do, how they want me to help, and they won't even talk to me.

They see me coming, and they run the other way.

They still think I want to persecute them.

They won't give me a second chance.

It's hard enough to change who I am, but when no one believes I've changed, well, what's the point?

God: What about Ananias? Didn't he come to the house and heal your blindness?

Or Barnabas? Hasn't Barnabas shown a willingness to work with you.

Paul: OK, yes, Ananias and Barnabas have seemed to accept me, although they are clearly reluctant to do so.

They are not doing it because they trust me; they only do it because you are making them.

No one else seems to trust me or want to help me. They either think I am some kind of spy, or they act jealous of me.

You don't know what it's like to have everyone look at you with suspicion in their eyes, acting like they want me to just go away.

God: I think I probably do know a thing or two about rejection.
How about this Paul. How about you keep telling people about the resurrection of my Son; you keep proclaiming the resurrection; you go and tell anyone who will listen

If you run into people who do not want to believe, move on. I promise you that the world is full of people who need to hear about my love and the hope and power of the resurrection.

How about you go and do what I send you to do and quit worrying about things over which you have no control.

Move 4: I ran across a Mark Twain quote

a. "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."
    1. When I researched the source of this Twain quote, I discovered that Mark Twain probably never said it 
    (http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/if-i-hear-it-again-i-swear-ill-scream-hemingway-huck-finn-and-cheating/), but I suppose if I can preach a sermon with conversations that may never have taken place, I can use a quote that may never have been said Mark Twain!
  1. all over the Internet lately.

  2. Reveals the desire people have fro their lives to have meaning.
    1. b. Want to have a purpose.
    1. As Christians, we discover our purpose as we listen to where God sends us as disciples of Christ.
    2. We have to listen for the voice of God; we have to listen to the stirrings our our restless spirits that want to change.
3.  we have to be willing to give up our desire to right instead of faith; we have to be willing to go into places that might be uncomfortable; we have to do what we can do and then let God be God.

Conclusion: How do we do it? Maybe we can ask Saul? Or Ananias? Or Paul? Or better yet, ask God and listen for the answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment