Thursday, January 16, 2014

"Dreaming of Heaven" Genesis 28: 10-17; Acts 10: 9-18

Another OT story. Jacob sleeps on the ground and dreams of a ladder that goes to heaven with angels ascending and descending on it.

The ladder probably looked more like a ramp to heaven than a ladder.  We also have the visual image of the metal sculpture that sits outside our church that was sculpted by Aka Pereyma.  I have very different images of what ladders might be.

Dream takes place where Jacob stops for the night.  It is nowhere important, but after the dream it becomes Bethel.  Being engaged by God makes the place important.

Dreams shows angels coming back and forth between earth and have, which serves as a reminder that God comes into tour midst.  The dreams shows the earth as a place of possibility, a place where God is at work.

I continue to reflect on the article I read last week (I mentioned it in my blog on Monday) about how God's Word calls us to change the script we are living out from the script of our world to the script of our God.  Not sure if it fits with this sermon, but I can't get it out of my mind when I read this text.

God shares three promises:  presence, action, and blessing.

Random thoughts as I brainstorm on the sermon include the reminder that I have experienced falling off a ladder and the song "Stairway to Heaven."

The Acts passage is about Peter's vision (sort of dreaming while napping) that transforms his position on dietary regulations for Christians.

This story follows Jacob stealing the birthright from his brother Esau, receiving his father's blessing, and then running away to escape Esau's wrath.

Jacob's son Joseph one day will be noted for his dreams.

what are you thinking about this text.

No comments:

Post a Comment