Friday, December 21, 2012

"Gifts You Can't Buy at the Store: Talent" Deuteronomy 34: 5-12; Philippians 1: 3-11

The sermon preparation has taken place in the midst of distractions:  the looming Christmas Eve service and sermon; knowing that there is not a sermon at the Sanctuary service, but a short reflection to go with the jazz music in the service;  knowing that I'll be preaching a sermon in the Chapel service, but it won't be needed beyond that service.

I picked talent as the gift because the musical talent of our choir and the jazz musicians will be on display at the Sanctuary service.  I have picked the story "the Juggler" to tell as the central part of my reflection in the Sanctuary service.  The story is an old French tale that some of you may know.  Robert Fulghum in his book Uh-Oh mentions this story.  It has several variations, and I'll add Richard's variation on Sunday!  It will be in my blog next week, but I won't spoil it for you before the sermon.

In the sermon for the Chapel, my points look like they're going to be:

   a. Our talents are tangible gifts from God.

b. Give your talents to the glory of God.

c. Give all of yourself.

Basically, the Sanctuary reflections will have the first point and "The Juggler."

Peace,

Richard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment