Friday, December 9, 2011

"Bringing Good News to the World" Isaiah 61: 1-4; Luke 1: 39-55

Lots of different directions to go this week.  The initial reading of the two texts had me reflecting on what the long expected and celebrated Christ brings to the world.  We think of Christmas cheer, but he comes with an agenda to care for the poor, release the captives, bind up the brokenhearted, etc. (as described in both passages).

In reading outside sources on for this Sunday, I was reminded that Sunday is the Advent candle of "Joy," which connects with the Epistle lesson (I Thessalonians 5: 16-24), which we are not reading (it is the basis for the Call to Worship), but which calls us to "Rejoice always). Some commentators and preachers are preaching on joy and humor this Sunday.

I was struck by Prof Solvang's discussion of Isaiah 64: 8 when she writes, "Transforming the "former devastations" will require more than a memory of the past and a promise to build. It will require that the people of Jerusalem adopt, like God, a love of justice and a hatred of "robbery and wrongdoing" (verse 8)." Elna K. Solvang  That led me to contemplate in how many ways we are moving out of the past but are not quite where we want to be.  Pregnant Mary has the result of the past in her womb, but is surely looking forward to the future when her pregnancy is over and her child is born.  The Israelites are not where they want to be, which is why they cling to the hope Isaiah brings to them.  None of us, I suspect, are the person we want to be.  how do we make the trip from who we were/are to whom we want to be?  


Not sure which of these thoughts will end up being the basis for the sermon.  YOu can still persuade me!


Peace,


Richard

2 comments:

  1. I am struck by your comment that none of us are the people we want to be. It makes me think of Lenten reflection.
    I also want to hear more about Elna Solvang's love justice and hate robbery and wrong doing. Can't wait for Sunday to hear how it all comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be there on Sunday, to see how you resolve this.

    ReplyDelete