Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Generations of Women" I Samuel 1: 1-28

This week we hear from Hannah in the biblical text and then hear from important women in the life of First Presbyterian Church, Troy and a special cameo from Rev. Margaret Towner, the first woman ordained in the United Presbyterian Church, USA (in TX, we referred to that denomination as the Northern Presbyterians!).

I am struck by how many biblical stories deal with a woman bearing a child, or wanting to bear a child, or not being able to bear a child. I wonder if the texts deal with child-bearing stories because that was one area of life in which the woman had control. Moses simply could choose to respond and lead God's people when challenged by the burning bush; Hannah may not have been in a position to make a decision about whether to go and lead God's people. But, she could strike a deal with God for her firstborn. I'm not sure what to do with that thought as I work on the sermon, but I am fascinated by its implications.

As we hear the stories of women from this congregation and our denomination, I am reminded of how the one telling the stories can shape the truth we hear. For example, I have often heard how long ago (1959) FPC, Troy ordained women to be elders. What I also discovered in reading about the women of FPC is that the Presbyterian Church authorized the ordination of women as Elders in 1930. No one mentions that it took 29 years for that practice to move from an acceptable practice to an actual practice of this congregation. And, I also did not know that FPC, Troy ordained its first woman Deacon in 1934 (25 years before a woman was ordained as an Elder).

In hearing the stories of faithful women, I hope all of us, regardless of sex or age, will recognize that we have gifts God has given us to be used for God's glory.

Peace,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment